Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fortune Cookie

Last week my in-laws took us to dinner at a nice Chinese restaurant, one of my favorites that I haven't been to in a couple years. It was very good food and good conversation. But my favorite part is usually when the fortune cookies come, not only do I love how they taste, but it's fun to see the fortunes, whether they're silly, fortuitous, or insightful.
Like the Andy Griffith show we watched last week where Aunt Bea opens a Chinese restaurant because of a lucky penny, and then gets out of the business because of a cookie fortune that reads "beware of business ventures, they can be very risky."
So our fortunes for that night were:
  • You have a captivating style all your own
  • You are the life of any party
  • You should be able to undertake and complete anything (JP)
  • The strengths in your character will bring you serenity (Marie)

Although mine may not apply completely to me any more than the others I decided I wanted to write about it.

What strengths of character can a person have that will bring them serenity?

  • Acceptance
  • Forgiveness (and the C. Terry Warner parallel, forgo-ness)
  • Strength
  • Understanding

The word serenity also brings to mind the Serenity Prayer. These are just some thoughts.

No comments: